City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing:
Week of Monday, August 7, 2017.
Office of the Mayor:
I95 Business published a feature on Mayor Martin and the City of Havre de Grace titled “Havre de Grace Mayor Bill Martin Values Past, Eyes Future” – Read Article
Tuesday, August 1, 2017 Mayor Martin attended National Night Out.
Saturday, August 5, 2017 Mayor Martin attended a Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the Cultural Arts Center at the Opera House.
Sunday, August 6, 2017 Mayor Martin attended a US Lighthouse Service Grave Marker Dedication Ceremony for Lighthouse Keeper John O’ Neil.
Mayor Martin invites all citizens, elected officials, and members of the press to join him and the city council on Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 9:00 a.m to celebrate the completion of the all-access playground at Tydings Park.
The Mayor and City Council will meet Monday, August 7, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. View Agenda.
BGE and the City of Havre de Grace will partner to repave the streets that have been impacted by the gas line replacement project. This project will begin the end of this month.
We are preparing to have the City Yacht Basin area dredged. Dredging removes the accumulated silt which flows into the basin from upriver into our waterways. A Request for Proposal for this work will be going out this week.
A reminder: Your Trash must be placed in cans for collection. Trash cannot be set out in bags only. The bags must be in a can for both health and safety reasons. Recycles must be placed loosely in containers. No plastic bags to hold your recycles.
DPW – Division of Stormwater Management:
Things You Can Do To Protect Maryland’s Water Quality
Citizens’ Tips for Keeping a Clean Environment
1. Report any dumping of inappropriate materials into stormwater drains (such as oil, antifreeze) to your local municipal officials. 410-939-1800
2. Use good housekeeping practices with lawn care chemicals, oil, gasoline, pet wastes, etc.
3. Help to start or participate in programs to recycle and safely dispose of used oils and household hazardous wastes and containers.
4. Tell others about pollution runoff and storm water runoff and what they can do to help.
5. Plant trees, shrubs and ground cover to protect bare soil and reduce runoff.
6. Create a “rain garden” to keep rain water in your yard to replenish plants.
7. Try composting to recycle yard wastes and reduce fertilizer use.
8. Find alternatives to the chemicals you use on your lawn.
Department of Economic Development:
August 6 to 12 is National Farmers Market Week. Many small businesses get their start at a farmers market and those who are ready to make the transition to the next level can get help through the Small Business Administration by contacting the Havre de Grace Office of Economic Development.
The Havre de Grace Economic Development Advisory Board is working with the Harford County Office of Economic Development for Business Appreciation Week September 18, with Havre de Grace business visitation on Tuesday., September 19. More details are to follow for this day of recognizing the importance of our local businesses as employers, drivers of our economy and community supporters.
The Route 40 Business Association is kicking off their 30th year of serving businesses in the Route 40 corridor. They will be hosting the Fore Our Kids Annual Golf Tournament on Monday, September 18, at Wetlands Golf Club in Aberdeen. Visit www.route40business.com for details.
Artists Emporium at 220 N. Washington St., Havre de Grace, will hold a grand opening and ribbon cutting at 4 p.m. Artists Emporium is the largest privately owned gallery in Maryland.
On This Day: August 7, 1911 – Calbraith Perry “Cal” Rodgers of Havre de Grace took a 90-minute flying lesson from Orville Wright and received his pilot’s license, the 49th ever awarded.
On This Day: August 7, 1912 – Arnold “The Brain” Rothstein, a heavy investor in the Havre de Grace Racetrack known as “The Graw,” dropped in to check on progress. Opening day was swiftly approaching when Rothstein stopped in, scheduled for August 24, 1912.
Office of Tourism:
- Friday, August 4 marked the 4th First Fridays of 2017 by having record numbers in attendance enjoying eight bands; a live performance on our “Grace Got Talent Stage” by the Havre de Grace Recreation Dancers, our new Kids Zone with Free Games, over 100 food and merchandise vendors, outdoor cafe seating, and local shops keeping their doors open late. A great time was had by all! Be sure to join us next month for another First Friday community event on September 1 to kick off our Fish, Fowl and Folk weekend!
- August 5- Elected officials, private donors, and members of the Havre de Grace community gathered to celebrate the Grand Opening of the Cultural Arts Center at the Opera house. After a cocktail hour, the black-tie affair continued with a ribbon cutting by the Mayor welcoming everyone to the second floor of the historic building. Technicolor Motor Home entertained the crowd followed by several speakers sharing the history of the building and thanking those who were responsible for making this dream a reality!
- August 6-12 Grand Opening Week! Join in on the fun-filled festivities during the Grand Opening Week of the Cultural Center at the Opera House-beginning Sunday August 6th. Visit www.ohhdg.org for tickets. Tonight is an Evening with Cab Calloway at 8 p.m., tomorrow The Monkey Man Variety Show, the children’s movie Paddington is at 11 a.m. on August 9, with Hush down performing Wednesday night at 9 p.m., EJ Zimmerman is August 10, Hot Club Baltimore on August 11 and the Sicilian Tenors August 12 with Colin Sorgi on August 13.
- August 7- National Lighthouse Day 10:00- 5:00
- August 9- Summer concert series at the Maritime Museum
- August 10- Thursday Night Sailboat Races
- August 11- Concord Point Lighthouse and Keeper’s House Fundraiser at Ironbirds Stadium
- August 12- Farmers Market
Havre de Grace Visitor’s Center is looking for enthusiastic volunteers that love the City of Havre de Grace. Several openings are available. Free training is provided. If you are interested, please contact Lauri O. or Bonnie at Visitors Center 410-939-2100.