City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing
Week of Monday December 11, 2017
Office of The Mayor
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Mayor Martin and the City of Havre de Grace hosted a Holiday Volunteer Reception.
- Thursday, December 7, 2017 Mayor Martin met with the Boys and Girls Club of Harford County and presented them with a check for $15,000.
- Saturday, December 9, 2017 Mayor Martin attended the 45th Candlelight Tour of Historic Havre de Grace.
- Officers and Staff attended the Havre de Grace Housing Authority Holiday Breakfast where they helped served breakfast to residents and guest.
- Havre de Grace Officers attended the first annual Shop with a Cop Harford Event, at the event officers paired with children in need and helped them choose presents and winter clothing.
- Havre de Grace Police are working with Havre de Grace DPW to remedy the traffic concerns in the area of Ohio Street and Ontario Street. Please drive cautious in this area and follow the traffic patterns. Officers will be enforcing traffic law in this area
- If you know where any illegal drug activity is taking place around Havre de Grace please fill out the Havre de Grace Drug Tip Form https://goo.gl/SnD2v9 Together we can stop the drug trade in our community.
- Follow the Havre de Grace Police on social media for up to date information affecting Havre de Grace, follow us Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor
Department of Planning:
- Please remember, property owners or their lessees are responsible for removing snow and ice from public sidewalks fronting their properties within 24 hours of any weather event resulting in snow and/or ice.
- Per the International Building Codes, Property Maintenance Codes, and for Emergency Services, please be sure your dwelling or business is clearly identified with proper address numbers – numbers should be a minimum 4″ tall, contrasting to their background, and visible from the street. Rear or side entrances should also be clearly identified.
- Check out our new Floodplain Management page on our City website – go to the Government heading, and the link is under Organization, just below Stormwater Management. Contact Marisa Willis if you have any questions or suggestions on the content of the Floodplain Management page (410) 939-1800 ext 1123. As always, please keep your stormdrains clear of leaves, grass, trash and tree debris at all times to minimize flooding in the streets and on your property.
- Building permits are required for sheds, fences, renovations, decks, and other alterations to buildings and property. If your property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, there may be State requirements to comply with also. When hiring a contractor, be sure they are licensed by the State of Maryland. Contact the Department of Planning (410) 939-1800 ext 1102 for permit fees and details.
Department of Public Works:
- Crews were ready for this weekend’s snowstorm. Blades on the snowplows were sharpened end of last week to make quick work of the accumulated snow.
- We are actively monitoring the traffic flow on Ohio Street at Ontario Street/Chapel Road along with Maryland State Highway and Havre de Grace Police.
- The Community Center on Lagaret Lane has received much needed upgrades with all new exterior doors and a newer oven.
REUSE – RECYCLE – REFOCUS:
- Last week, a total of 56 bulk items went into the landfill from the City ‘s Bulk Collection Curbside Service.
- From January 11 to December 8, 2017, a total of 1860 items were collected and dumped into the landfill. Many of these items could have been given to someone in need. Rather than calling the City for items to go to the landfill, please call:
GreenDrop at 1-888-944-DROP to schedule a home pickup. One of their friendly drivers will arrive at your home at the designated time, load up their truck with the items you left out for them, and leave a tax receipt for you to use on your next tax form. The only work you need to do is gather up the items you want to donate and leave them out for GreenDrop. For a complete list of items they will take, visit: www.gogreendrop.com
STORMWATER MANAGEMENT UPDATES
- The City has 100% design for Lilly Run Phase I, Wetland Enhancement. Watch for next steps.
- Please report any illicit activity on the storm drains by calling City Hall at 410-939-1800 or by using the “REPORT” button on our website.
- Stormwater pond revitalization and landscape infiltration areas work will begin at Concord Point Park after the first of the year. These improvements will help protect the River and Bay from stormwater runoff and the pollutants it carries.
- Design of pedestrian bridge abutments over Lilly Run near the Lock House will begin this month. Watch for more information on this connection of the Joe K Trail loop.
- Design of the City’s stormwater management pond retrofit and habitat creation at Bradford Green is underway. Watch for those enhancements soon.
- WATCH for other stormwater pollution removal projects happening in the City.
Reminder: Please keep your storm drains clear of leaves, grass, trash and debris at all times to minimize flooding in the streets and on your property when we have a weather event.
SPOTLIGHT: Stormwater Management – Steps you can take:
- Install rain barrels, rain gardens, green roofs, or change lawn fertilization practices on individual properties. Now is the perfect time to begin planning.
- Stormwater remains one of the most difficult and expensive sources of Chesapeake Bay pollution to control. While a great deal of attention and resources have been committed to wide scale adoption of Best Management Practices (BMPs), many counties and towns receive a large volume of stormwater from smaller scale residential and private properties. Actions on these smaller properties, such as the installation of rain barrels, rain gardens, green roofs, or changing of lawn fertilization practices on an individual property, when considered in aggregate, can show significant nutrient and sediment reductions.
Office of Tourism:
- The City of Havre de Grace will be hosting a city-wide house decorating contest. Register your home today by calling 410-939-2100. Your address will be added to the judge’s list. Judging will take place on December 14 & 15, winners will be announced at the City Council meeting on December 18th.
- Shop til ya Drop! December 15-17 stores are offering extended holiday hours, refreshments, holiday giveaways and door prizes.
- Santa Land will be open on December 16 from 12- 2pm. Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus to share all your Christmas wishes before they return to the North Pole.
Cultural Center at the Opera House
- “A Swingin’ Christmas with Elio Scaccio” on Tuesday, December 12 at 8pm
- The Havre de Grace Arts Commission presents “A Holly Jolly Christmas with Duke
Thompson & Friends” on Thursday, December 14 at 8pm
- “Polar Express” (Children’s Film Series) on Saturday, December 16 at 11am. Free
admission for all children under the age of 13 when accompanied by an adult.) Come at 10am for cocoa & muffins from the PTA, ‘Photo Op’ with a special Santa and Polar Express Conductors will board you! After the movie, head over to the HdG Library for sweet treats, scavenger hunt and crafts.
- Old Fashioned Holiday on Union Avenue featuring a Magical Movie and Merry Music at the “Union Avenue Inn” on Saturday, December 16. Bring back the nostalgia of the holidays on the corner of Union and Pennington Avenues in historic Havre de Grace. Ride down memory lane with the movie White Christmas followed by a visit to the “Union Avenue Inn” across the street at the Havre de Grace Library. And best of all-Snow! (movie ticket holders only)
- “Melting Pot Big Band” on Sunday, December 17 at 3pm.