City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing
Week of Monday October 23, 2017
Office of the Mayor:
- Statement from Mayor William T. Martin regarding the resignation of council member Steve Gamatoria.
At the Monday, October 16, 2017 regularly scheduled City Council meeting, Council member Steve Gamatoria announced his resignation from City Council effective immediately. For full disclosure, I have solicited Steve to accept a position in my administration as Chief of Staff. On or about Monday October 30th, 2017, Steve Gamatoria will begin his new role. As Chief of Staff for the City of Havre de Grace, Steve will have broad oversight of the day to day operations of City government and will report directly to the Mayor. View Full Statement
- The City of Havre de Grace would like to recognize the 2017 Havre de Grace High School Hall of Fame inductees Mr. Erick Stone, Dr. Louis Silverstein, Mr. Alex Spooner, and Mrs. Mary Sampson. Members of the Havre de Grace Hall of Fame are alumni selected once a year through nomination for their distinct and honorable dedication to our city.
- The Department of Public Works installed a new water fountain at Concord Point. The new water fountain is ADA compliant & features a station to fill up water bottles & two other stations for people & pets to drink from.
Mayor Martin testing the new water fountain at Concord Point. pic.twitter.com/NbAoGnNbs4
— Havre de Grace Md (@havredegrace) October 20, 2017
- On Thursday, October 19, 2017 Mayor Martin participated in the Havre de Grace Homecoming parade and attended the game afterwards – which the Warriors won 28-21 in Overtime.
- On Friday, October 20, 2017 Mayor Martin volunteered at the Carnival on the Chesapeake. The City of Havre de Grace would like to thank the Independence Day Commission and their team of volunteers for putting on this successful community event. We would also like to thank the Department of Public Works and Police Department for their services.
- On Sunday, October 22, 2017 Mayor Martin attended an open house for Always in Grace Assisted Living located at 806 South Union Avenue.
Department of Administration:
- At the Monday, October 16, 2017 City Council meeting the Havre de Grace Colored School Foundation gave an update and overview of the project.
- The Mayor and City Council will meet Monday, November 6, 2017.
- The Cecil-Harford Chapter of MML met and discussed the Opioid Crisis in both counties. CM Worrell serves as VP and Shyla Scott serves as the Secretary Treasurer for the Chapter. More than 50 elected officials and representatives from the surrounding counties attended the meeting.
Tydings Park Upgrade and Improvement Project Update.
Crews have finished pouring concrete near the playground and will begin installing a handicap walkway connecting the park to the restrooms and The Promenade Grille.
- It is Red Ribbon week where we encourage the youth to live above the influence and avoid drugs. Red Ribbon Week runs from October 23rd to -October 31st.
- The Havre de Grace Police will be participating in a Trunk or Treat at October 28th 5-7pm at 101 Stansbury Ct, Havre de Grace. Free and Open to All!
- Please be extra cautious to pedestrian foot traffic while driving due to many special events and trick or treating these upcoming weeks.
- Havre de Grace Police will be participating at Trunk or Treat event at Lorien Bulle Rock Monday, October 30th at 6:30 pm, this event open to the public!
Department of Public Works:
- Drainage issue at crosswalk at Union Ave and Fountain Street will be addressed by State Highway within the next few weeks.
- I.T. is working on installing fiber optic cable for internet service at WWTP and DPW yard.
- Tydings Park Improvements: Handicap swing reinstalled/repaired.
- Chapel Road/Ontario St. – New traffic pattern will go into effect this week.
- Crack sealing will begin again – weather permitting.
- BGE Gas Line Project – final paving and sidewalk for Phase II – beginning this week.
- Pushing the need for residents to recycle: The Department of Public Works continues to stress the cost savings for its citizens to increase their recycling rates. We are working to get this accomplished through community outreach.
- Greenway Farm: Signage added, potholes filled, bridge work completed.
- Burns Property/ Moore Homestead – split rail fence has been installed.
Burns Property/ Moore Homestead update – A split rail fence has been installed. pic.twitter.com/gd2chohiMo
— Havre de Grace Md (@havredegrace) October 23, 2017
Lane Paving Projects – Mill and Overlay to begin this fall.
Lanes to be milled and overlayed include:
- Lodge Lane – Franklin to Pennington (2 blocks), Giles to Commerce (1 block), and Pennington to Congress (1 block).
- Strawberry Lane – Girard to Revolution (1 block)
- Centennial Lane – Warren to Franklin (1 block), Congress to Bourbon (1 block)
- Freedom Lane – Warren to Pennington (3 blocks), Revolution to Lewis (1 block)
- Linden Lane – Legion to Juniata (1 block)
Stormwater Management Updates
- Reminder: Since fall is here keep your stormdrains clear of leaves, grass, trash and tree debris at all times to minimize flooding in the streets and on your property when it rains.
- Repair work on the stormwater pipe will be commencing this week on Canvasback Drive near Teal Court in Grace Harbor. Expect traffic delays in this area during this repair
- SPOTLIGHT: It’s time to observe the beauty of the trees around us. Take a stroll through Tydings Park, Joe K Trail, Horseshoe Bend or one of the many locations in the City where the native trees are beginning to display a show of color for us all!
- City Web-site: A REPORT Button has been added to City Webpage to enable citizens to report illicit discharges into stormdrains.
Department of Planning:
- Building permits are required for sheds, fences, renovations, decks, and other alterations to buildings and property. If your property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, there may be State requirements to comply with also. When hiring a contractor, be sure they are licensed by the State of Maryland. Contact the Department of Planning (410) 939-1800 ext 1102 for permit fees and details.
- Seasonal reminder to business and property owners: You are responsible for removing leaves, snow and ice from public sidewalks fronting your properties.
- Home values and neighborhood quality are negatively impacted when property is not kept up. If you notice a property that has abandoned vehicles, appliances, furniture, trash, or tall grass and weeds, please contact the Department of Planning (410) 939-1800 ext 1102.
Department of Finance:
- Please Do Not Put Cash In The City Hall Drop Box!
- Water/Sewer Disconnections will be Tuesday October 24, 2017. To avoid Turn Off fees and disconnection, please pay by Monday, October 23, 2017.
- User Benefit Fees were due September 20, 2017. Please pay by Tuesday, October 31, 2017 to avoid additional penalties.
- 2nd Half of Real Estate Taxes are due by Friday, December 29, 2017 to avoid unnecessary penalties when paying by your banks bills, please schedule payments at least 10 days in advance of the due date. Post mark is not accepted, and payments must be received by the due date.
- Register for Water/Sewer e-Billing online or call Michele or Donna at 410-939-1800.
Office of Tourism:
Havre de Grace 10 days of Halloween!
- October 27 & 28- Havre De Grace Haunts Tours and Paranormal Research, phantom footsteps of the Lafayette tour!
- The Lock House Museum will have treats and surprises for their younger visitors on Saturday and Sunday October 28 & 29.
- Saturday October 28- American Legion will host a Halloween costume party from 8pm- midnight.
- Sunday, October 29- Trick or Treating at the Downtown Businesses in Havre de Grace- look for balloons to locate participating stores
- The Concord Point Lighthouse will host their annual Howl-o-ween Tails and Treats from 1-5 on Sunday October 29. Fun for your pets and children.
- The Decoy Museum will host “Carve & Candy”. Carve or paint a pumpkin with a carver, explore the Museum while trick or treating, bob for apples, and enjoy a variety of other children’s activities.
- The Cultural Center at the Opera House will be hosting a Horror Film Series from October 23 through October 28. On October 28 Wind Up Toy (Alice Cooper Tribute Band) will be performing.
- The Havre de Grace Library will host Tuesday Trivia on October 24 and Ghibli Fest Japanese Animation Studio on October 26. Paint your Pumpkins on October 28 during the day and return in the evening for Humans vs. Zombies Nerf War…and don’t forget to Trick or Treat at your Library on October 31 during library hours.
- The Havre de Grace Parks and Recreation committee will host their annual Halloween Parade on Monday, October 30 at 6:00 pm. Meet at the corner of Washington Street and Congress Ave. dressed in costume.
- Trick or treating in Havre de Grace will be on Tuesday October 31 from 6-8pm.
- The Great Havre de Grace Oyster Feast – November 18, 2017
Join us for our second annual community gathering to support local non-profits. Catered by Atlantic Caterers featuring steamed oysters, fried oysters, oysters on the half shell, homemade oyster stew and Maryland Crab Soup, as well as traditional foods on the pit. Tickets proceeds benefit local non-profits. For more information and to purchase tickets, please call 410-939-2100
For more details visit our website explorehavredegrace.com
Cultural Center at the Opera House:
- “Ed Wood” (film) on Monday, October 23 at 8pm
- “Night of the Living Dead” (film) on Tuesday, October 24 at 8pm
- “Rosemary’s Baby” (film) on Wednesday, October 25 at 8pm
- “The Babadook” (film) on Thursday, October 26 at 8pm
- “Nightmare on Elm Street” (film) on Friday, October 27 at 8pm
- Wind Up Toy (Alice Cooper Tribute Band) on Saturday, October 28 at 8pm
- “Phantom of the Paradise” (film) on Saturday, October 28 at Midnight