City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing:
Week of Monday, September 11, 2017
- Avoid parking in posted no parking zones and yellow curbs or face being ticketed.
- When going to events at Harris Stadium, please use the parking lots at Havre de Grace High School located on Juniata St and Bourbon St, Congress Ave and Adams Street, or any available street parking.
- The Havre de Grace Police will be proudly participating in a Trunk or Treat event at Somerset Manor October 28, 2017, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.! If you know of any other community groups who would like to participate, please have them contact Shannon Scott from the HdGHA at 410-939-2097 to reserve a spot.
- With it being hurricane season, please review https://www.ready.gov to prepare yourself for a disaster.
Department of Finance:
- Annual or 1st Half – Real Estate Taxes are Due September 30, 2017
- Mayor, and Council passed a $1,000 personal property tax credit to all businesses starting July 1, 2017. Credit is applied automatically to bill.
- Register for e-billing of Water/Sewer bills online or call Michele at 410-939-1800.
- No Water and it’s after hours at City Hall? – Call the Water Treatment Plant at 410-939-1070 for assistance.
Department of Public Works:
- Camilla Street – Request for Bid has been reposted. The project consists of re-lining a 6″ water line pipe.
- BGE Gaslines – The gasline replacement project is currently in Phase 2, with Phase 3 beginning next week. As roads and sidewalks are being disturbed to do the work, the end result will be well worth the inconvenience.
- Curbside Collection Service – As the severe weather season is upon us, we give a round of applause to all residents who are using trash cans with secure lids for their weekly collections. The amount of trash being blown about or bags ripped open from animals will quickly subside with the “cans-only” practice. Just a reminder to all and for those new to the neighborhoods: All trash and trash bags must be in cans with tight-fitting lids to be collected.
DPW – Division of Stormwater Management:
- Reminder: Keep your stormdrains clear of leaves, grass, trash and tree debris at all times to minimize flooding in the streets and on your property.
- The average automobile can be swept off the road in 12 inches of moving water, and roads covered by water are prone to collapse. Attempting to drive through water also may stall your engine, with the potential to cause irreparable damage if you try to restart the engine. If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route.
- The City is progressing with plans for a couple stormwater management facility retrofits/improvements. Keep watching the updates for the improvements happening throughout the City.
- If anyone notices someone dumping into a stormdrain please notify City Hall at 410-939-1800, ext. 1128. Anything going into the drains except for stormwater is illicit.
Department of Economic Development:
- After a summer break the Harford County Economic Advisory Board resumes their monthly meetings this Wednesday (September 13) at the University Center in Aberdeen. Havre de Grace Economic Development is represented on this board by Director Erika Quesenbery Sturgill. The presentation this month will be by Robin Luxon, Vice President, Marketing & Business Development, for University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health.
- Thursday, September 14 the Northeastern Maryland Technology Council, or NMTC, will hold Wine on the Water at La Banque de Fleuve on St. John Street in Havre de Grace.
- Director Erika Quesenbery met with and welcomed two technology and defense businesses to Havre de Grace CAS-Tek, LLC, and StemRad Radiation Protection last Friday, September 8.
- HDGOED will be in attendance for a new-product launch for the popular I-95 Business Magazine on Friday, September 15 in the afternoon.
- HDGOED will hold a Business Appreciation Happy Hour at MacGregor’s Restaurant on Tuesday, September 19 from 4 to 6 p.m.
- The Havre de Grace Office of Economic Development will also host at Havre de Grace City Hall a Brewery, Winery & Distillery Startup Seminar on Tuesday, September 26, from 6 to 8 p.m. Representatives from Maryland’s Grow and Fortify and the Brewers Association of Maryland, Maryland Wineries Association and the Maryland Distillers Guild will be on hand to present on numerous topics. Visit www.growandfortify.com to learn more and to register for this seminar that is open to the first 50 registrants.
Office of Tourism:
- Havre de Grace Visitor Center is 15 years old! Visit us at 450 Pennington Ave. to learn more about all of the exciting adventures that await you in Havre de Grace. Our friendly staff of volunteers are full of information and can’t wait to share their stories with you.
- September 14- Thursday Night Sailboat Races
- September 16- Farmers Market at Hutchins Park
- September 16- City-Wide Yard Sale
- September 16 & 17- 11th Annual Maryland Lighthouse Challenge