City of Havre de Grace Weekly Briefing:
Weekly Briefing: Week of Monday, July 17, 2017.
Department of Administration:
- July 17: City Council Meeting – 7:00 p.m at City Hall, 711 Pennington Ave. View Agenda
Department of Public Works:
- Just an FYI – Recycles and Trash are collected same day – but not same time. One truck will come by for trash only, then another truck will come by for the recycles. Collections happen throughout the day. PLEASE make sure your recycle can is CLEARLY MARKED.
- Curbside Bulk Collection Day has moved to FRIDAYS.To schedule: call Wednesdays between 8-5 or Thursdays 8 to noon. Please call 410-939-1800 x2100 or 410-939-2006 to schedule a collection.
- BGE will continue to replace old gas lines with new throughout the City. There will be brief disruptions in traffic. Please watch for signage. Call Mr. Tristan Matthews of BGE at 410-598-2119 should you have any questions.
- Last week DPW responded to and fixed a large water main break on Pulaski Highway. Our crew was on-site by 6:00 am. During the process they found a total of 3 breaks. All work was completed by 8:30 pm.
Also from Public Works’ Storm Water Management Team:
- Stormwater Management Division partnered with Harford Streams on their Summer Adventure program by participating in last Saturday’s Poker Run. There are two summer adventure locations in Havre de Grace, a popular spot for this activity, Maritime Museum and Lock House. The Rockfield Park in Bel Air was a great spot Saturday and the Poker Run was a huge success. View more info.
- Free Home and/or Business Security Survey available by calling the Police Department at (410) 939-2121 to make an appointment.
- Discard unwanted, expired, unused prescription or over the counter medications in the Drug Deposit Box which is located outside front entrance to the Police Department.
- The Havre de Grace Summer Safety Camps will be held on July 17th-20th, July 24th-27th, and July 31st-August 3, 2017 for elementary and middle school children.
- National Night out will be held August 1, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Department of Economic Development:
Moon & Sea Creations new boutique at 433 St. John Street, Havre de Grace, next door to Color Images Salon, weekends this summer “when our sandwich board sign is on the sidewalk we’re open!” firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-903-1896
Chris Barber Shop, 101 N. Washington St., Havre de Grace, moved and expanded from their location on Congress Avenue. They held a Grand Opening on Fri., July 7, from 5 to 9 p.m., and have a hair stylist, makeup artist and travel agent.
Get Fit Sports Performance & Boot Camp is opening a second location, tentatively set for August 2017, in Havre de Grace. They are already successfully operating in Forest Hill. Visit their website at www.getfitharford.com to learn more. The Havre de Grace location in the former Save-A-Lot Store at 200 Congress Avenue, Havre de Grace (at the intersection of Market Street) is currently undergoing renovations. For membership information call 410-399-9600 or contact Get Fit through their website.
Artists’ Emporium, an eclectic gallery at 220 N. Washington St., Havre de Grace, caters to all works of art including performing arts, dance, music and, of course, fine art. The Artists’ Emporium will host a Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting Saturday, August 5, at 4 p.m. Other upcoming events for Artists’ Emporium leading up to the Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting include:
- Thursday, July 20 Third Thursday with Duke Thompson at 7 p.m. (cash bar)
- Thursday, July 28 Rogue Swan at 7 p.m. (cash bar)
- Friday, July 29 Art Opening of “Whimsy” at 5 p.m. (cash bar)
- Friday, August 4 Havre de Grace First Friday starting at 5 p.m.
Stickdesign Embroidery & Garment Printing Studio, a long familiar business on Union Avenue, has moved to their new location at 316 St. John Street, Havre de Grace. The proprietor Gaby Frank is setting up her equipment currently and will soon resume regular hours. The shop’s Facebook page is active for messaging and to post details regarding hours, etc.
Harford County Office of Economic Development has announced a Startup Breakfast for Wed., July 26, from 8 to 9 a.m. at The GroundFloor, 2021-G Pulaski Hwy., Havre de Grace. The Startup Breakfast is a place to meet other entrepreneurs, makers, innovators and inventors from around the county. Mingle with investors, lenders and mentors, enjoy a demo or explore a topic – it’s different each time. The breakfast is free but please register at www.eventbrite.com/e/startup-breakfast-tickets-35736306245
Office of Tourism:
- A new television advertising campaign is now airing on cable television promoting local attractions and business.
- July 19: Summer Concert Series at The Maritime Museum from 7:00 p.m – 9:00 p.m. View More Info.
- July 20: Kid’s Summer Story Time at The Maritime Museum from 10: 15 a.m – 12:00 p.m. View More Info.
- July 20: Thursday Night Sailboat Races starting at 6:15 p.m. View More Info.
- July 21: Summer Concerts in the Park- Mambo Combo beginning at 7:30 p.m. View More Info.
- July 22: Havre de Grace Farmer’s Market from 9:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m. View More Info.
Opera House Update:
- Theater seating and carpeting are being installed this week.
- The Cultural Center At The Opera House will open August 6, 2017. View more info.
Tydings Park Upgrade and Improvement Project Update:
- Bollards have been installed at the entrance to The Tydings Park War Memorial.
Little Free Libraries
- To date over 2,500 books have been taken from an Havre de Grace Little Free library.
- 150 Books were added over the weekend.